COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme
Who can get the COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme has changed from 9 February 2021.
This is because the COVID-19 Short-Term Absence Payment is available to cover eligible workers who need to stay at home while waiting for a COVID-19 test result.
The Leave Support Scheme previously covered people who were sick with COVID-19 'like' symptoms who met the Ministry of Health’s ‘higher index of suspicion’ criteria, as well as health and disability support and aged-care workers who were self-isolating while waiting for a COVID-19 test result. Businesses with workers in these groups are now covered by the COVID-19 Short-Term Absence Payment.
(Extract of overview below is from business.govt)
- There is specific health criteria and conditions for employees to be covered.
- These need to be looked at carefully.
- The “Leave Support Scheme” is a step up from the “Short-Term Absence”.
- Most of the health criteria involves advice and direction from Health Professionals &/or Officials.
- If your worker has a positive COVID-19 test, you can apply.
The Leave Support Scheme is paid as a 2-week lump sum per eligible employee.
The Leave Support Scheme is paid at a flat rate of:
- $585.80 a week for full-time workers who were working 20 hours or more a week.
- $350 a week for part-time workers who were working less than 20 hours a week.
Applying for Leave Support scheme:
Fill out the relevant online form off the “Work and Income” website.
Which is available under category “COVID-19”, “Leave Support Scheme”, “How to apply”.
I have more questions, what should I do?
- For further information you can search online, The Work & Income website outlines the “Leave Support Scheme” in more detail.
- However sometimes things are easier explained, so give us a call at the office or go to our “Contact us” page. You can also message us using the box below.
If you have any general questions, feel free to use our contact us form on the website.